If you’re after something light and fresh on a balmy summer evening and don’t feel like cooking then this is the recipe for you. What you decide to put inside is really up to you, this is always a good opportunity to clean out the fridge of leftovers from the week. When assembly your summer rolls it’s always best to have a combination of crunchy, creamy and soft. Things like shredded cabbage make a great filler, whereas avocado, mango, mint and radish give you all the textures and flavor you could want in a Summer Roll.
We’ve teamed up with Saphira Rasti of Peanut.Head to create this recipe using our Pineapple Premium Fruit Vinegar Concentrate. Our premium fruit vinegars come in 3 flavors (Pineapple, Mulberry and Passionfruit) and boast similar benefits to Apple Cider Vinegar. Some of these benefits include; balancing pH levels, increase metabolism, stimulate digestion, lower blood glucose, and improves blood circulation.
In today’s recipe spotlight, Saphira mixed a few capfuls of our vinegar into the shredded cabbage base which gives a great fruity vinegar taste throughout, so you get a hint pineapple in every bite.
Makes 6 Rolls
What you’ll need:
- 1 pack of rice paper
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage (i used 1 c of purple and 1 c of white)
- 3 caps of Young Scent Pineapple Premium Fruit Vinegar Concentrate
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 a large mango
- 2 easter radishes
- 1/2 watermelon radish
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup pineapple salsa
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 8 sprigs of radish sprouts
What to do:
- Place shredded cabbage into a medium bowl (if using 2 different kinds keep them separate so you can mix and match later)
- Evenly pour the Pineapple vinegar over your shredded cabbage, along with the hemp seeds.
- Mix until coated, set aside.
- Prepare your radishes with a mandolin; cutting into thin slices
- Cut your mango into long thin sticks and avocado into thin smaller pieces
- Set fresh veggies aside ready for the rolling process.
- In a deep fry pan fill it halfway with water and warm slightly. (The water should be warm, not hot as the rice paper will become too hard to handle if it’s overcooked)
- Once water is at the right temperature, immerse one rice paper sheet in at a time, taking it out almost immediately (no more than 10 seconds) and lay onto a large flat plate.
- Now it’s time to add your filling and roll it up.
- Firstly lay out your desired veggies (radish, avocado, mango or mint), layer on a few different types of veggies, lastly add your cabbage mix, ensuring you don’t overfill the sheet and keep the arrangement in a long rectangular shape
- Now it’s time to roll.
- Start by folding over the top and bottom of the rice paper sheet laying flat onto of your filling, next turn the plate 90 degrees to the right, fold over the rice paper sheet closest to you, keep the filling tight and together roll it over completely.
- You should now have a nice little parcel
- Continue these steps until all ingredients have been used up.
- Serve with a side of pineapple salsa to really drive home that tropical flavor.
Disclosure: This blog post was provided and written by Saphira Rasti of Peanut.Head, a plant-based clean eating blog!